- Rainouts are emailed to the league and posted on Facebook after 4:00pm on game days. Synthetic turf fields require rainouts only when lightning occurs. Always call the rain-out line for updates.
- Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation rain-out number: 704.336.5800 #2
- League managers and captains will coordinate make-up games as needed.
- All players must sign a waiver before playing. Part of the online registration process includes accepting the waiver.
- Slide tackling is absolutely NOT PERMITTED and a slide tackle will result in a penalty card. Any type of lunge that could be considered dangerous is considered a foul.
- All players must wear shin guards and cleats (no sneakers).
Referees will report all penalty cards given to the referee coordinator each week who will maintain a history of cards for the season. Each week referees will be given an updated list of all penalty cards. As players with repeat offenses are identified, preventative actions will occur.
- Yellow – the player must exit the field immediately. The player can re-enter the game on the next legal substitution.
- 2 yellows in the same game – the player sits out for the remainder of the game and their team plays down for the remainder of the game. The player can return to play the following week.
- Red – the player sits out for the remainder of the game and their team plays down a player for the remainder of the game. That player must sit out the following game, but their team can field a full team.
*please note some of these rules may not be the same as Classic Gold rules*
- Halves will be 35 minutes (a running clock except for injury) with a 5-minute half-time.
- Full-field 11v 11.
- All games will start on time. The referee’s timer will start at the scheduled game start time. There will be a 5 minute grace period (or an agreement between captains) to determine if the game is deemed a forfeit. Each team must have at least 7 players to play.
- Teams must forfeit if they have less than 7 players after the 5 minute grace period, unless another agreement was made with the captains of the opposing team.
Restarts & Substitutions
Substitutions can occur on either teams’ throw-ins or goal kicks. Substitutions cannot occur on corner kicks or free kicks for either team.
- Handballs: a player shall be called for deliberately handling, carrying, striking or propelling the ball with the hand or arm (i.e. hand to ball or seeking to get an advantage). The denying of a goal is an automatic red card.
- Off-sides: a player is in an offside position at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of her teammates and there are not two opponents nearer the goal line by: 1) interfering with play / opponent or 2) gaining an advantage by being in that position. Off-sides is determined when the ball is played.
- Aggressive plays: safety is #1 – we all have to go to work tomorrow! No slide tackling (automatic yellow card). Keepers can slide inside the box for the ball, in a safe manner. Referees will judge if play is for the ball or flagrant. Flagrant fouls are an automatic yellow card or a possible red card depending on how flagrant.
- Attitude – be considerate! This is a recreational league. A yellow card may be given at the discretion of the referee
- Language: any incidental use of vulgar or profane language – first gets a warning, but after a warning, a yellow card will be issued. It will depend on manner, who it is directed to and who hears it. Using insulting, offensive langage or gestures will result in an automatic red card.
- Overtime: there is no overtime for the regular season. For the first two rounds of playoffs, there will be one 5-minute overtime. If the score is still tied, one 5-minute Golden Goal overtime will be played (first team to score wins). If still tied, penalty kicks will follow – each team will pick 5 players (from those on the field at the end of overtime) who will alternate kicks. The higher seeded team can choose to kick first or second. If the score remains tied, each team will choose one player to kick until there is a winner. All players on the field at the end of overtime must kick before anyone from the bench can be chosen. For the championship game, the overtime periods will be extended from 5 minutes to 10 minutes; all other procedures remain the same.
Team Formation & Costs
Teams are re-formed every fall with all players going into a draft and being placed on a team. Returning players remain on the same team from the fall to spring seasons.
All players can choose one person to partner with when they register. Both players must indicate their interest in playing with one another during the registration process.
Registration fees are $75 per season and include one team t-shirt per year, 7 regular season games and a single elimination playoff tournament. Please refer to the CWSL registration page for season deadlines.